The NJEA Disaster Relief Fund is a one-time payment of $1,000 for any member that is displaced from their primary residence due to a disaster.
Here are instructions on how to handle any request for the NJEA Disaster Relief Fun:
1. To qualify, the member must be displaced from their primary residence.
2. The local president will submit the names of those members who have been displaced. They should also submit an explanation of the displacement and any details that are relevant about the specific member’s situation.
* Example: Member John Doe, a High School Language Arts teacher, lost his home due to a house fire on January 1, 2021. He and his family are now staying with relatives until they are able to make other arrangements for housing.
* Example: Member Mary Smith, a 4th grade teacher, lost her home due to Hurricane Ira’s tornado on September 1, 2021. She and her family are staying at a hotel until they are able to make other arrangements for housing.
* Please include any other information regarding the member in need. This could include the local association doing a fundraiser to support the family, the county association making a donation, etc.
3. Once the local president has filled out the form, the form should be submitted to the regional office.
If any member would like to apply, please email Deirdre Falk at DFalk@njea.org with all the pertinent information.